Technician, Forest Management
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Technician, Forest Management
Summary of Functions
Reporting to the Seniour Coordinator, Forest Management, this position is responsible for implementing and supervising seasonal staff in the implementation of forest resource management projects on Conservation Area Lands, and support/direction of strategic planning for conservation area forest management planning. This may include hazard tree removal and harvest operations. Additional duties include collection of data for both forest inventory, monitoring programs and entering and compiling data in databases and reports as well as support for other forestry extension programs such as reforestation and private landowner services. This position will as needed, support other ongoing Terrestrial Restoration & Management (TRM) Section projects.
- Post-secondary studies in Forestry, Horticulture, Natural Resource Management or Biological Science are preferred.
- Forestry Exterminator License or Pesticide Technician Certification is an asset but not required.
- Managed Forest Tax Incentive Plan Approver Designation is an asset but not required
- Chainsaw certification and operating experience.
- Valid class “G” Ontario Driver’s License required.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Access and Arc View 3.3 or ArcMap.
- Knowledge of restoration effectiveness monitoring sampling methodologies.
- Proficiency with native plant species identification, including knowledge of non-native invasive species and forest pests and diseases.
- 2 - 3 years outdoor work experience in tree marking, tree planting and other forest management and restoration activities.
- Experience with supervising staff.
- Experience with the preparation and interpretation of planting plans.
- Proven experience with the safe operation of chainsaws, farm tractors, farm implements, mechanical reforestation planters, tank sprayers, pesticide application, ATV’s and landscape maintenance equipment.
- Proven experience with the safe hauling, loading, and unloading of trucks and trailers.
- Experience collecting forest inventory data and operational forestry skills.
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under direction.
- Assist in the development of CVC’s Forest Management Plan through coordination of workshops, meetings, report writing and research.
- Implement field operations for tree marking, forest inventory and site visits.
- Monitor harvesting operations when required, create tree compensation and preservation plans, arborist reports, support Managed Forest Tax Incentive Program and associated file management.
- Operation of mechanical equipment including: farm tractors, chainsaws, ATV, water pumps, loading large trailers.
- Supervision of casual staff; this includes training new employees on health and safety procedures, including the safe use of equipment and ensuring forest management tasks are carried out in a professional and timely manner.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Create planting plans, invoicing in support of forest management.
- Collect forest inventory data to update CVC forest management plans as directed.
- Compile and analyze field data and enter into appropriate databases; preparation of draft reports as directed.
- Interview and rank casual candidates.
- Fill out work calendar to schedule/coordinate project timing and other events.
- Attend departmental, TRM and staff coordination meetings.
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position.
- CVC offers a competitive salary and full benefit package including health, dental, life and disability insurance, pension plan and a staff identification pass which entitles you to free entry into all conservation areas! CVC also offers its employees flex-hours and a beautiful view of the Credit River.
- Anticipated Start Date: August 2017 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $53,117
Forward resume by July 25, 2017 to:
Please quote "Technician, Forest Management" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.