Engineer, Hydrology and Hydraulics
1 Year Contract
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Engineer, Hydrology and Hydraulics
Summary of Functions
CVC’s Watershed Management Department has a strong history and demonstrated leadership role in water resources management in Ontario. This position will provide technical leadership in the implementation of programs and projects that help fulfill CVC’s mandate in floodplain mapping and flood risk management. The successful candidate will be passionate, innovative and technically competent and thorough.
- Licensed Professional Engineer
- Minimum 5 years of related engineering experience
- Strong understanding of hydrology and hydraulic models (HECRAS, XP-STORM, PCSWMM, Otthymo)
- Extensive expertise and hands-on experience in floodplain mapping studies using Visual Otthymo and HECRAS models
- In-depth knowledge of principals, physical and hydraulic processes and of best practices in model development, calibration and verification
- Competency in ArcGIS and/or AutoCAD
- Strong skills in writing technical reports, fact sheets, and bulletins
- Ability to work independently, multi-tasking and high attention to detail
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Strong project coordination skills including scheduling meetings, meeting preparation, and follow-up for action items
- Valid class G Ontario driver’s license
Summary of Major TasksPerform the following tasks under limited direction and supervision
- Development, operation, and maintenance of new/existing hydrology and hydraulic models
- Prepare floodplain hazard and flood risk maps, including development and application of HEC-RAS models.
- Complete flood risk assessments, and develop/manage a flood risk database.
- Support in new/ongoing hydrology and floodplain mapping studies
- Contribute to CVC’s long term program of managing flood risk in the Credit River watershed.
- As needed, provide support to CVC planning staff in the use and interpretation of hydraulic models submitted by third parties as part of development applications.
- Liaise with professionals in neighboring CAs, the Province and the federal government for the purposes of harmonizing and improving policies and programs.
- Maintain excellent client services (both internally and externally) through application of effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- CVC offers a competitive salary and full benefit package including health, dental, life and disability insurance, pension plan and a staff identification pass which entitles you to free entry into all conservation areas! CVC also offers its employees flex-hours and a beautiful view of the Credit River.
- Anticipated Start and End Dates:
- March 1, 2018 to February 28, 2019 with possibility of extension (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $77,652
Forward resume by January 28, 2018 to:
Please quote "Engineer, Hydrology and Hydraulics" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.