Senior Coordinator, Forest Management
The Credit Valley Conservation Authority (CVC) is a partnership of the municipalities within the Credit River Watershed. We are dedicated to the conservation, protection, restoration and sustainable development of the natural resources of our watershed. Together we have a long and successful history of ensuring a clean supply of water for human and environmental needs. At this time, we are seeking to fill the position of:Senior Coordinator, Forest Management
Summary of Functions
Coordinate the development and oversee the implementation of the CVC Forest Management Program under the supervision of the CVC Terrestrial Restoration and Management Program (TRM) Manager. Supervise contract and casual staff in the completion of work related to this program. Working evenings and occasional weekends are a requirement of this position. Occupational health and safety is a major responsibility of this position to ensure staff and volunteers are working in a safe environment both in the field and around the facility. Additionally, the position will be responsible for maintaining and analyzing records required to assess program efficiency and act to both design and implement changes to ensure program effectiveness and resource sustainability.
- Post-secondary degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, or Environmental Science.
- Five or more years’ experience related to the major tasks.
- RPF (Registered Professional Forester or Associate) designation or eligibility in a timely manner for this designation through OPFA required.
- Valid Class ‘G’ Ontario driver’s license required.
- Chainsaw certification.
- ISA arborist designation an asset, but not required
- Ontario Tree Markers certification or ability to obtain in a timely manner required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of silvicultural and ecological principles, forest stew issues and practical management techniques and their application in managing public and private forest resources.
- Proven supervisory experience related to major tasks; reforestation planning, herbicide application, tree planting or forestry work experience.
- Proven work experience with the safe operation of trucks, farm tractors, mechanical tree planters, watering tanks, herbicide spray units, ATV’s and landscape maintenance equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to initiate, plan, organize and implement projects and programs including budget management and summary report writing.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer word processing/GIS (ArcView)/Access databases / spreadsheet literacy.
- Strong analytical and organization skills.
Summary of Major Tasks
- Develop and update forest management plans and maintain the long-term operational prioritized workplan for CVC’s Forest Management Program. Contribute to other Authority land resource management plans (including tree marking and hazard tree analysis).
- Develop and implement a workplan and supervise staff in completing CVC property forest inventories, tree marking, survival and growth assessments, data entry and field data analysis in support of CVC forest management planning.
- Develop and implement performance measures to evaluate program outcomes and overall effectiveness.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of forest resource management projects and the provision of services to both internal and external client groups related to Authority Programs, including Private Landowner Stewardship, Reforestation / Afforestation on Private and Authority Lands, Forest Management, and Special Projects.
- Work in a team to help support marketing, promotional materials and workshops in support of CVC’s reforestation and other TRM watershed restoration programs.
- Provides forest ecology and management expertise and technical advice to internal and external client groups in support of forest management planning and management initiatives in support of watershed studies and projects.
- Prepare and deliver reports, presentations, communication and information to external groups and stakeholders as well as internal staff.
- Liaison between private landowners, government representatives, funding partners and staff promoting land stewardship.
- Conduct background research, review literature and technical studies to ensure leading edge techniques and state of the art practices related to forest resource management and restoration are applied.
- Hire, train, evaluate and supervise contract and permanent and seasonal staff to complete all assigned duties.
- Supervise and hire external contractors as required.
- Responsible for record keeping including; completion of program ledgers, vehicle and equipment mileage sheets, casual staff timesheets, personnel attendance records, and fuel consumption on a daily basis.
- Assist with preparing budgets, monitor program expenditures/revenues for programs related to major task areas.
- Other duties and projects as appropriate to the position.
- CVC offers a competitive salary and full benefit package including health, dental, life and disability insurance, pension plan and a staff identification pass which entitles you to free entry into all conservation areas! CVC also offers its employees flex-hours and a beautiful view of the Credit River.
- Anticipated Start Date:
- November 2, 2017 (35 hours/week)
Salary starting at: $66, 924
Forward resume by October 1, 2017 to:
Please quote "Senior Coordinator, Forest Management" on resume/letter. Resumes/letters submitted electronically must be submitted in Microsoft Word format.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CVC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with AODA (Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005), CVC will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If you require disability – related accommodations, please inform the Human Resources (HR) staff. All personal information is collected under the authority of the municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.